My Favorite Miss USA Winners

Favorite Miss USA Winners

Anyone that knows me knows that I am a huge fan of pageantry. One of my all time favorite pageants, however, is the annual Miss USA Pageant. I love the Miss USA Pageant system because it is all about female empowerment. Each and every Miss USA Contestant is encouraged to be unapologetically 100% herself. This means a lot because as women we are often told who we should be, what we should do, and how we should do things. It is amazing to have a platform that is willing to help women be successful without compromising their uniqueness.

1. Cheslie Kryst (2019)
Cheslie is one of my favorite Miss USAs because she has such a bubbly and cute personality that I can definitely relate to. She has a very warm persona that makes you feel like you've been her friend for years. A fun fact about Cheslie is that she is the very first lawyer to become Miss USA so not only is she beautiful but she's also very intelligent as well.

2. Kara McCullough (2017)
Throughout her reign I really admired Kara's love for science and the fact that she used her platform as Miss USA to encourage girls to pursue careers in STEM. As a premed this is very meaningful to me because I've experienced sexism in the sciences and we definitely need to let our girls know that they can be scientists too. Your gender does not have to limit your career aspirations.

3. Deshauna Barber (2016)
To me, Deshauna is one of the more iconic Miss USAs because she was the very first Miss USA to serve in the military. I love Deshauna's enthusiastic nature and she is an amazing speaker. Deshauna's win was a pleasant surprise to me because it is not often that darker skinned black women are crowned Miss USA. This has changed a quite a bit in recent years but its nice to see diversity in winners. Too often in the beauty industry many people have a narrow idea of what beauty is and often times that idea is that the lighter you are the more beautiful. Deshauna's win really represented a turning point in the pageant industry because now more than ever all types of beauty are being celebrated in pageantry.

4. Olivia Jordan (2015)
I really like Olivia because she has a really fun and bubbly personality. She is a self-proclaimed dork and I 100% stand that. She is also exceptionally gorgeous as well both inside and out. She's one of those people who exudes a lot of warmth. One look at her and you can tell she is a very generous person.

5. Nia Sanchez (2014)
Nia is one of my favorite Miss USA winners because of how genuine she is. She is always willing to interact with fans and she always befriends the new Miss USA when she's crowned. Nia truly embodies what it means to be a pageant sister because she treats her fellow titleholders with love and kindness. Far too often we see women tearing each other down, so it is nice that Nia is committed to supporting other women.

6. Rima Fakih (2010)
Rima is another amazing titleholder that I admire because she is unapologetically herself. She is spunky, fun, and hilarious and I totally live for it. In pageantry too often we see girls that are very rehearsed and are very pageant patty and the great thing about Rima is that she's nothing like that at all. She always stays true to herself and that is a quality I really admire.

7. Crystle Stewart (2008)
What really makes Crystle resonate with me is the amount of substance and humility she possesses. It took her four years of competing in Miss Texas USA in order to win the crown to go on to Miss USA. With each lost she would brush herself off and keep going and that's a quality that I strongly respect. Crystle helps to instill these qualities into many young women at her pageantry and modeling school in Houston. Along with being a successful beauty queen Crystle is also a very talented actress that starred in Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse.

8. Rachel Smith (2007)
Rachel is strikingly gorgeous and she has the ability to just grab your attention. I really enjoy her work on Entertainment Tonight because she is always very enthusiastic with each story she covers. Her reign as Miss USA wasn't always smooth but she handled it with a lot of grace.

9. Tara Conner (2006)
Tara might be a controversial choice for some pageant fans because of some of her conduct as Miss USA but her story is very inspirational and proves that recovery from addiction is possible. Tara's addiction to drugs and alcohol were revealed during her reign. What was first thought to be the end  of her career turned out to be the start of a new beginning for Tara as she was able to conquer her demons and fight her addictions. Today she helps many others do the same.

10. Shandi Finnessey (2004)
I love Shandi because she is hilarious and very witty. When you watch her during interviews and events you can't help but feel like hanging out with her. There's something about her that is very personable and charismatic. I also like that she is very honest about her feelings about certain things in pageantry.

11. Susie Castillo (2003)
I've had the amazing honor of getting to meet Susie and she is a wonderful woman. She is definitely a people person and she takes the time out to get to know everyone. I've read some of her book Confidence is Queen and I can relate to so many things that she mentions such as feeling the need to always please people and how difficult it is to break away from that mindset. I really like that Susie is a woman of many talents because not only was she Miss USA but she was also a model, TV Host, actress, and pageant trainer.

12. Shauntay Hinton (2002)
I was originally a fan of Shauntay because of her work on the news channel HLN but I was surprised to find out that she was actually a Miss USA as well. Throughout her reign Shauntay served as an activist for various causes such as homelessness and mental illness.

13. Lynette Cole (2000)
I am a fan of Lynette because I really like her lifestyle and modeling brand on her instagram page. I also love the amount of depth and substance she possesses. Throughout her reign and even after her reign she would be an advocate for orphaned and adopted children.

14. Ali Landry (1996)
Ali is one of my favorite's because I love how kind and sweet she is and I also really like her acting work.

15. Carole Gist (1990)
Carole is an icon in pageantry because she broke down barriers for so many girls when she became the first African-American woman to win Miss USA. I was watching an interview and she talked about working hard to win the title. Not only did she work hard but she also believed that she could win and believing i yourself is one of the greatest qualities for success.



Comments